Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Outlook, Saskatchewan - It's Outlook on the Library System

The sign at the front entrance to the public library in Outlook, says Wheatland Community Library, however, access to its Internet WIFI is restricted to the staff and students in the school in which it is housed. 

This public library in this town is private when it comes to accessing the World Wide Web.

Outlook is located approximately 94 kilometres south of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, on Highway 219.

Frank and I stood in front of the librarian and explained to her that I’m a writer and most of my material is stored on my hard drive and on a web cloud. Also, I must verify my facts and most I can research on the Internet. “Do you have free WIFI?”

Bar with free WIFI, Outlook, SK
“No. There is no Internet access here in this library for the public. It is for the exclusive use of the school staff and the students. You can get WIFI at the cafĂ© down the street or at the bar,” the librarian said.


I felt defeated. Frank and I have been on the road for three years now, visiting as many small towns and their senior centres and libraries as possible. Even if the library has restricted days and hours, they've always had a keen sense that it is in their interest to provide free Internet access to whoever comes through their doors.


Outlook, SK, Town Office
The good news is that my explanation to the Town Office Manager, Trent, resulted in my having access to their Internet WIFI and a comfortable chair at a table in the art centre. We left a thank you card with his staff to pass along to him on our way out.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment